In our 8 step quest to spring cleaning/organizing we start with the linen closet. Used regularly by everyone it tends to get disorganized quickly but with a little bit of organization, paring down and labeling, yours can stay tidy. Follow the steps below to get yours in order.
- Remove all your linens and sort as you go putting like items together making sure to fold everything identically, blankets, towels, sheets, pillow cases…. Be sure to remove items that are not in great shape, eg: fitted sheets with stretched out elastic, towels with pulls etc.
- Consider limiting yourself to 3 sets of sheets per bed and 3 sets of towels per person in your household. Make rags or donate the things you are ready to part with.
- With a mild soapy water, damp wash the closet and shelving. If you add a little vinegar to the water it will help remove any odors that might be in the closet.
- Look at your sorted piles from step 1 and adjust shelving to accommodate your pile heights. Try to create short stacks so that you can keep things neat, tall stacks tend to get unruly. You may want to consider rolling towels in a spa like fashion, it’s up to you. If you like stacks, like me, metal shelf dividers that you can get from the Container Store fit most shelving and help keep things from co-mingling.
- If you use shelf liner now is the time to replace anything that doesn’t look great.
- To put things back, consider what you use most and place those items from waste to eye level for ease of use. Put the things you use the least up high and down low.
- Small linen closet that is a catch all and over stuffed? Consider placing bed linens in storage bins under the bed they belong to.
- If you have others doing laundry, you should consider labeling where things go to help keep your closet orderly. Add in cedar products or herbal sachets using naturally available ingredients like cloves, peppermint, thyme, and rosemary to keep moths out. And voila you are done.
Next week we will tackle the medicine closet. Keep up with us weekly to make this process easy on yourself. Let us know how your doing on our Facebook page.
- Preventing a Linen Closet Avalanche – Storing Sheets (1-2-3getorganized.blogspot.com)
- 10 Household Spring Cleaning Tips (changeofaddress.org)