We are in week 3 of our 6 week summer series on outdoor living. Now we get to what makes outdoor a fun and functional BBQ gathering space – The Cooking Station. Appliances for your outdoor kitchen must be outdoor rated. Manufacturers such as U-line, Lynx, DCS and a few others have lines designed for outdoor use. If you are creating an outdoor kitchen then you will want the conveniences of inside, outside. Appliances and fixtures that you should consider for your outdoor kitchen are:
- THE GRILL – MOST IMPORTANT PIECE DON’T RUSH THIS DECISION. Most grills are made from cast aluminum, sheet metal, cast iron or stainless steel. Stainless steel is the best (and priciest) choice because it holds up well to the elements over time. I suggest to do your research and make your list of wants vs needs. But no matter what you do buy the most expensive grill you can afford because it will last longer than a cheap one.
- SINK & FAUCET- stone or stainless will last the longest in an outdoor setting.
- FRIDGE – no outdoor kitchen is complete without refrigeration. An outdoor refrigerator keeps cool drinks at your fingertips and food safe until it is served.
- ICE MACHINE – Say bye bye to bags of ice and enjoy the luxury of an outdoor ice machine for your entertaining.
THREE THINGS to take an outdoor kitchen to the next level
- A wood-fired pizza oven, which is usually a custom-built feature, but do-it-yourself kits are available
- Outdoor dishwasher